Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Music

I was lucky to have grown up with music in the house. I can remember a few times, as a child, going with my parents to drive my brother someplace so he could work. He played a guitar back then. My brother wasn't even old enough to drive. He started out "playing music" when he was very young. His band would always practice at Mom and Dad's house.

My mom LOVED rock 'n roll. This was back in a time when Elvis was scandalous. She "set a few people straight" when they critized her for letting my brother play rock 'n roll.




They also listened to country music. Real country music. Not the watered down versions that you hear on the radio now. Legends like George Jones, Johnny Cash, back before "The Man in Black" was married to June Carter and she was part of The Carter Sisters and Mother Maybelle. Bobby Helms, Eddy Arnold, Furlin Husky, Hank Locklin, Hank Williams, Jerry Lee Lewis, Jim Reeves, Marty Robbins, Patsy Cline, Ray Price, Sonny James, Webb Pierce. I'm sure you get the picture. I'm just as sure I left out the names of a few other legends too.

Personally, I've always loved cajun and zydeco, blues, jazz, opera, classical, and what I called soul music. James and The Famous Flames. Wilson "Wicked" Pickett. Diana Ross and the Supremes, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, The Four Tops, Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, The Temptations, Martha and the Vandellas, Mary Wells, The Marvelettes, Tammi Terrell, The Isley Brothers, Jr. Walker and the All-Stars. I know I've left a lot out here also.

I pretty much have liked every genre of music I have ever heard. As I say "from Ambient to Zydeco". I couldn't imagine living in a silent world without music.






No comments: