Saturday, February 17, 2007

My dogs


This is Buddy. I got him in 2001 a couple of months after my son died. My husband (at the time) saw him running thorugh the neighborhood when he was driving home from work. He told me about the cute little dog and I asked why he didn't bring him home. We went back out and it took us about 20 minutes before we found him. After asking numerous people if he belonged to them or if they knew where he lived and getting negative answers, we decided to keep him. We introduced him to Pongo, to make sure they got along.

Buddy had to be treated for heartworm. I believe that's why he was allowed to "escape", because as anyone who has had a dog treated for heartworms knows "it ain't cheap". But, I'm so glad we kept him. He's been a wonderful companion as has Pongo. I refer to Pongo as the old man now instead of "moma's baby dog" since he's almost 11.
Pongo was also a rescue dog. We got him from someone who had gotten him from the SPCA. When we notified SPCA that we were taking ownership of him they told us they had 35 male Dalmations whose name was Pongo. I'm sure we should thank all those parents who decided to get one for their children even though they did no research on the breed. And wouldn't say no to them. (Please note those last two sentences were dripping with sarcasm. I am an animal LOVER, especially dogs and elephants.) I believe that taking in an animal makes him/her a part of the family and makes us responsible for them. If you can't or don't have the time, please don't start the job.
Okay, I'm off my soapbox now.

No comments: