Saturday, April 14, 2007

Making Soap

After my Weight Watchers meeting this morning, (I maintained, it's better than gaining!)I went to Central Art Supply. I browsed for a while then saw some very pretty orgami paper. I got a pack of wavy striped papers. I have been doing some simple origami, but I figured I could use the papers for digital scrapping or for some greeting cards I'm planning on making later. I will be returning to that store with list in hand to get water color pencils, gesso and numerous other things for altered art.

I have to admit that I went to Tijuana Flats for lunch. The food there is amazing and I love the hot sauces. I especially like the one called "Slap My Sweet Ass and Call Me Sally." It's a sweet not hot sauce and I like to have it with the chimichanga. Yes, I blow all of my weekly points here. But, it's THAT GOOD! I don't mind not having the extra points during the week.

When I got home, I got out the kit for soap making and got started on that. Here is a pic of the items in the kit.

It didn't take very long. It was a learning experience.





Here are the soaps in the mold.









I think they came out rather nicely considering it's my first time.
Here are pics of the liquid soap and the bars wrapped in clear plastic.
















Things I need to do differently next time. I think I left them in the mold too long because they were very difficult to get out. I also had a lot of bubbles on two of the bars, maybe I poured them too fast? And I need to remember that the bottom of the mold is the top of the soap and place the flowers or whatever appropriately. All in all I had a nice time and will definitely be doing it again with other materials, additives, fragrances, colors and packaging.


Number 80 on my 101 Things list is half completed. I need to make bath bombs in order to be able to completely check it off as completed.











2 comments:

Kitty Couture said...

Hi Austin, those are wonderful! Makes one want to learn making soap :)

(Angie) Norththreads: said...

These look wonderful, i just tried this 2 weeks ago but yours are lovely! Thanks so much for popping by & visiting!
~cheers~
Angie